Wednesday, August 24, 2011

bitless session

Just out of curiosity I rode Jordan in the ring today with no bit, just my rope halter and a set of English reins. His bend and collection was a little disappointing, but he stretched well and was very controllable. We focused on canter work and getting that sticky right lead. I re-taught the lead from the beginning by stepping over on the left rein, then dropping the left rein and using the crop on the left haunch. This gave us a reliable canter depart on the right, which I then extended to a 10m circle. His canter was very clear and extended today. He has trouble controlling his excitement after a few canter departs, but this is simply lack of training. We will need to include canter in all sessions from now on.

Nearly every night one of us hops on Jordan bareback and walks him around a bit. Maria trotted him also last night and he did fine. He can pick me up off the fence, or I can mount from a bow. My vault is a little weak but he stands well for it, whether I miss it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment